What causes lack of energy and inactiveness while on Augmentin in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
my daughter 6 years old is having fever since last two days. it's consistently around 100 - 101. I have been giving her crocon ds 5 ml thrice sice day before yesterday and augmentin duo 5 ml thrice since yesterday . there is no cough or sneezing .no pain anywhere. she is eating properly but just become lazy and less active. what should we do
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complete the course of antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often fevers in children are due to viral cause. In such cases antibiotics are ineffective and irrespective of treatment it takes 5-7 days for recovery to occur. You have already started antibiotics and so you must complete the course. Give Crocin DS (paracetamol) whenever there is fever. Also give tepid sponging.

You need to be patient. If apprehensive, get her blood tested for complete blood count (CBC) and C-Reactive protein (CRP). You can also visit your doctor.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
fever is constant around 100 and 101 , not going below 100 . so giving crocin Ds 5 ml thrice in a day along with augmebtin 5 ml. anythibg else we can do to reduce the fever.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mefenamic acid is more effective than paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
You can give Meftal P (mefenamic acid) syrup (prescription medicine) as it is more effective than Crocin DS in reducing fever. The dose is 7.5 mg/kg/dose to be given at a minimum interval of 6-8 hours but independent of the dose of Crocin DS.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 hours later
hi Doctor,
with Meftal P fever has reduced to 99 but nose has bleeded thrice during day .. bleeding is for few seconds only and then stopped. is it ok. should we do anything.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related

Detailed Answer:
I do not think that the nose bleed is related to Meftal P. It can be due to nasal dryness during a cold. However if it recurs it would be a good idea to visit a doctor.

now there is no bleeding but her fever is back to 100 . yesterday it was normal or 99. today is 5th day she is having fever.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please continue to give Meftal P or Crocin DS as required.

Detailed Answer:
I understand. Please continue to give Meftal P or Crocin DS as required. If fever lasts more than 7 days you would need to get her tested for typhoid.