• question-icon

What causes lack of concentration when diagnosed with polycythemia?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Stroke
Question: I am a 60 yo female with polycythemia.i get phlebotomy as treatment every 2 month. 2 days ago a bean size hematoma showed up on my rt eyebrow without trauma as cause. Today a large grapesize hematoma showed up on same side of face on scalp hairline. My bp is way up despite meds.fuzzy concentration n eyesight changes. What should i do at 2am in the morning.thank u XXXXXXX Fox missouri.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
First of all check your blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that Ecchymosis ( bleeding or haematoma) is one of the bleeding complications seen in approximately 1% of the patients with polycythemia.

Along with this if you are having high blood pressure then it increases the risk of blood oozing more There by causing more haematomas .

At this time I would like to advise you to check your blood pressure and if it is more than 180/100 mmhg then take one Amlodipine 5mg right now or else if it is less then wait till morning and then visit your doctor.

Also for your haematomas you need to wait for a day or two and if they keep on occurring then probabably you need to with hold Aspirin for a day or so.

I hope this information will answer your query, if you have any other doubts you can ask me back or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist