What causes lack of bowel movement and stomach pain while taking Cephalexin?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: taking druges for last time in hosp,now taking cephalexin for foot toe sore and red,4 days no stool passing and slight pain in stomic and waist toe is feeling better still has swealing no pain.taking 4 a day upsets stom waist,also alittle weekin legs i am 85 yrs old .other mds, levetiracetam,enalapril,metoprolol atorvastatin
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely Cephalexin sideeffect, take probiotics for intestinal flora

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

your symptoms can mean that you are not taking the antibiotic well. However it is important for your toe to heal.
Once cephalexin intake is over this should improve by itself though. What you can additionally do is try taking probiotics like mutaflor or similar to get your intestinal flora back in balance.
If this is not bearable at all for you it is advisable to talk to your treating doctor to potentially switch the antibiotic to try if you take that better.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff