What causes lack of balance when diagnosed with chiari malformations?
Considered Chiari, but may be incidental, not cause symptoms.
I read your question carefully, reviewed the image, and I can understand your concern.
Technically speaking a descent of 7 mm is considered Chiari malformation (benign tonsillar ectopy is up to 5-6 mm).
That being said it doesn't mean that it is causing symptoms. Most Chiari patients with that degree of descent of the tonsils do not exhibit any symptom and lead a normal life. The fact that there is no finding of syringomyelia, myelopathy or hydrocephalus. The symptoms you describe are subjective should be confirmed by neurological exam.
If there is doubt a special MRI technique, phase contrast MRI with cerebrospinal fluid flow analysis helps understand whether manifestations are due to Chiari.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Accident not responsible
Thank you for the additional information.
The answer to your question is no, car accident shouldn't affect tonsillar ectopia, neither its degree nor its symptom manifestation which is due to compression and cerebrospinal fluid circulation alteration.
Let me know if I can further assist you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes balance disorder
- What causes loss of balance
- Arnold chiari malformation causes
- What causes lack of oxygen
- What causes balance problems
- What causes lack of saliva
- Streptococcus causing chiari malformation
- What causes off balance in chiari
- Chiari malformation causes
- What causes lack of balance
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?