• question-icon

What causes lack of appetite, weight loss and stress in an elderly person?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: sure, I have lost 25 pounds due to reduced appetite and stress related to care giving-my wife has recently died and I'm trying to put back on pounds. I've had blood work done and all is good. Should I eat several small meals? Im 79, male and in good health otherwise except some poor sleep issues I believe related to "listening" for my wife's call at nite. I only take a statin drug
I also have muscle crapms at nite, legs

Txs
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. I think I can help. Here are my thoughts.

What you are describing is concerning for a diagnosis or "complicated grief" or possibly even major depression. Have you been feeling down or depressed in the last couple of weeks?

If so, you would benefit from an appetite-stimulating antidepressant such as Mirtazapine. This would also help with sleep, so it is a medication I highly recommend for you. I would reach out to a psychiatrist or therapist to consider this medication for you given your current situation.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 4 hours later
Thanks for your thoughts. Beyond, normal sadness for loss of my wife of 50 years, I am managing fine. The years preceding her death were very stressful and my self care went out the window, then the past 6 months were very stressful and I "forgot " myself. i think the drug you mention is an antidepressant and I'm truly not depressed, just learning to get my life back on track.

I was really looking for direction about eating etc, perhaps I need to see a nutritionist. I guess you are knowledgable in that arena. I'm not resistant to psychiatry, just don't see it as the direction I need
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
In terms of medication, the best thing to help with insomnia and also increase appetite is mirtazapine, which was developed as an antidepressant but is now used primarily as an anti-insomnia and pro-appetite medication.

If you are seeking help about nutrition to gain weight, I would suggest increasing protein and fat intake, and eating several small meals throughout the day rather than few large meals. This is a good strategy to gain weight.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist