What causes lack of appetite for breast milk in infant?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter who is 6 months old is having problem in feeding. she is completely on breast feeding. We feel that she does feel hungry but not able to feed. she starts having breast feed but within couple of minutes she stops. The only time she feeds is when she is feeling sleepy.
Is there anything which needs to be done.
At birth she was 2.9Kg and now she is 6Kg.
Answered by Dr. Arun 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
start weaning foods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Your daughter is six months old.
You need to start weaning foods apart from breastfeeding.
Weight gain is within normal range, so no need to worry.
I would suggest
1. Start weaning foods like rice gruel or cerelac or nestum along with boiled vegetables and fruits like boiled apple.
2. Initially give once or twice a day. From next month increase to three times a day and so on.
3. Continue breastfeeding. Do not stop. All you need to do is to start weaning foods like I mentioned and slowly decrease the frequency of breastfeeding.
4. Try iron supplements like hemsi drops once a day. I usually prescribe around 0.5 ml daily. Most of the babies will have a drop in hemoglobin at six months and they will benefit from supplements which will greatly improve their weight gain.
Wishing your child good health.
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
But this is not a problem which stated recently and has been there for almost 3 months now. I wanted to know whether she must be having any issue in her stomach or digestive system or any other issues ?
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no digestion issue

Detailed Answer:
Breastmilk is the easiest food to get digested.
I don't think there is any digestion or enzyme issue.
Don't worry.
Start weaning foods. I do believe she will start liking them.
Regards Dr Arun
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology