• question-icon

What causes lack of appetite, chills and fever in an elderly person?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 69 year old white male in generally good healthy except for 3 prior balloon angioplasties. Last Thursday evening I felt fine other than a lack of appetite. On Friday am I woke up feeling chills, had a light breakfast, and by 10 am was back in bed. My temperature XXXXXXX steadily through the day from 101.7 in early pm to 102.2 then 103.2 in mid pm. It backed off to102.2 where it stayed until 9 pm or so. It when't to 101.9 or so for much of the night. For Sat am to mid pm it slowly reduced to 98.8, at which time I thought I would be fine. There was no nausea or intestinal distress the entire time. Sunday am the fever returned to 100.8, where it now remains. Any idea what this might be and is there any course of action other than waiting it out? - XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A possible viral infection. For now treat the fever as needed.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Your fever might be as a result of a viral infection that you may have gotten from someone else.
In general it develops with 3-5 days of fever and then the other symptoms. What kind of infection it is- we will be able to tell only when your symptoms will develop. That will happen in the following days.

Follow up with me if you want so I can advise accordingly.

Meanwhile, you seem to be doing well with drinking lots of liquids and also rest.
If the fever makes you feel weak and tired, you can also consider taking an Ibuprofen 400mg or Tylonol 500mg every 4-6 hours.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako