What causes knocking sound in the jaw while eating?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a knocking sound in my jaw- more when I eat- clicking- knocking- annoying- other people can hear it when I chew- hate it- what can XXXXXXX done
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
TMJ disorder likely, needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. if the sound is not coming fromt he cereals or food you eat, then its the clicking TemporoMandibular joint and needs to be evaluated. More than 10 million people are affected and women are more prone. Consult a dentist or maxillofacial surgeon, let them have a look, run some tests and decide what is best for you. Supportive care with painkillers, soft foods, moist heat and ice applied over joint, gentle stretching exercise for jaws will help.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan