What causes knee swelling with nighttime muscle cramps?

Question
Swelling in joints, especially knee w/ artificial joint. Repeated muscle cramps at night in legs interrupting sleep hourly. Blood test shows high white blood count. Upon taking amoxocillan for dental visit, knee swelling is temporarily relieved. Condition has persisted for months. Doctor prescribed an anti-inflamatory.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Did you take pain medications too?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. This knee swelling doesn't seem to be caused by an infection for which Amoxicillan should have been of great help to relief your symptoms. I strongly believe that other anti pain medications that were administered alongside this drug were responsible for your improved knee swelling/pain. However, I will recommend that your knee be evaluated and managed appropriately. Given that you have undergone knee replacement, I will start with your surgeon. If this persists, then a rheumatologist would be solicited.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me for more information and clarifications. Above all, let me know what actions you take.