What causes knee pain?

Posted on Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear doctor, I am 30 years old and am sufferong from pain in right knee, top left corner since past 3 days. Earlier this yer I suffered a slip disc towards left and since then I had been avoiding bending and resorting to squatting. I am scared may be I have injured myself. please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get x-ray knee done. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for your query. I feel honoured having this opportunity to address your health worries today. I am so sorry about what you have been experiencing. Knee pain can be due to many reasons. You should get x-ray knee done in AP and Lateral view. You can send us report or discuss it with your doctor. Only then further management can be advised. Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the pain. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. Avoid heavy weight lifting pushing and pulling heavy objects, because it will further increase back pain. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen (Motrin)to reduce pain. Apply hot packs for 30 min in morning and evening. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement