What causes knee pain?

Posted on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left knee started hurting today. I noticed it looks like a vein is going over the kneecap. The pain is coming and going. I'm a teacher and just started back to work a little over a week ago with a lot of standing/walking. Right now, I'm not walking so well. What should I do? Also there is a pain about halfway up my thigh in the front on that side.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
? cause of.knee pain

Detailed Answer:
Good evening XXXXXXX There are a lot of causes of knee pain. What we need to know is that if it is inflammatory or is it mechanical.

As per your history, the pain you are describing looks more like a mechanical one,that is the one that gets aggravated on prolonged standing or walking and when a person rests it gets better.

I would like to gather some information here

Firstly how old are you? Couldn't find the age mentioned

2. Do you experience any early morning stiffness in the joints.

3. Have you ever noticed swerlling in your joints.

4. What is the nature of pain when you rest after prolonged standing. Is it the same or less..

5. Any medications you are taking for this pain

Do let me know these queries.I would be happy yo help you here

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist