What causes knee pain?

Posted on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I am concerned about some pain I experience when going up or especially down the stairs around the right knee. I have thought it may be a result of shoes or back posture. It doesn't feel like it's in the joint, but to the right of the knee joint. I sometimes feel it when raising my legs getting into bed. Otherwise I don't experience it when walking or sitting. I also favor my left side because of childhood surgery on the right leg, a posterior tibial transfer for pigeon toe but may be unrelated. I appreciate your input.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritic changes.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms it seems that your right knee joint has undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. However I don't feel it when walking or sitting, only on the stairs and when raising my leg into bed. Wouldn't arthritic degeneration be felt all the time? Also, I have another thing in that leg that often after long periods of sitting, I feel like a spasm around my ankle bone of the right foot which takes a few minutes to dissipate. Could that be related to the knee or even the spine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You have only early changes of osteoarthritis that is why the pain is not persistent throughout the day. It is initially felt during climbing or coming down the stairs only.
The spasm around the ankle bone is likely to be a muscle spasm which usually happens due to electrolyte imbalance. You can start with an electrolyte rich energy drink or fresh fruits and take methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
So I can expect worsening in the knees over time as I go into my sixties ? Would the electrolyte issue related to sitting and the spine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
The knee issue can worsen over time as you age. Regular exercises will help in delaying the further progression.
This can be related to sitting - can be due to an early disc prolapse in the lower spine also. Electrolyte changes are a more common cause and are easy to rule out first.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon