What causes knee pain?

Posted on Tue, 9 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have got the pain in both knees since last 4-5 years. I have the x-ray done ,after examining my x-Ray doctor explained me that space between the two bone has increased and the space has become rough which resulted in pain when walking. I am feeling little tightness when bending the left knee.
My age is 73 years, Height 66 inches and weight 60 kg.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is arthritis of the knee

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and it is called osteoarthritis of the knee joint. This happens when cartilage of the knee get eroded and surface becomes rough. It causes pain during walking and difficulty in sitting on floor or using stairs.
I have following suggestions to my patients according to their pain intensity.
1. In early stage pain killers like trmadol and static quadriceps exercise.
2. Voletran ointment can be applied.
3. If pain is more then steroid injection can be given in knee joint.
4. If medicines are not much effective them surgery is the option. Arthroscopic debridement can be done which helps in pain relief.
If all these methods are not effective, knee replacement is last option. If you can send x rays of your knee joints to me then we can decide what is right option for you.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement