What causes knee pain?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello

I've had pain in both knees and also pain in the back of my leg between my knee and thigh when I drive. I also have a lump on both knees exactly the same on both knees just above my knee to the right and left accordingly

The pain varies and is improved with ibuprofen

Also I seem to have pins and needles in my left hand

Is it likely to be rheumatoid arthritis?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less likely to be rheumatoid arthritis

Detailed Answer:

It seems less likely to be rheumatoid arthritis, as you know that rheumatoid arthritis is a symmetrical poly arthritis.
You seem to be having osteoarthritis of both knees.
This is a degenerative condition to some extent causing pain and stiffness in few joints most commonly the knees.
The pins and needles in your hand may be due to a carpal tunnel syndrome.
This is generally treated with exercise, some medications like glucosamine, curcumin may help with the pain.
NSAIDs may be taken on and off according to the symptoms.
Also it would be good to get an X-ray of both knees in standing position in order to confirm the problem.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
What do you think the lumps are? Also i had gout some years ago and the pain is similar - could I have gout in both knees

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be bony overgrowths

Detailed Answer:
hello,
it seems less likely to be gout, as gout causes involvemnt of single joint with redness and heat.
the lumps may be bony overgrwths, fatty tissue or synovitis causing synovial overgrowths.
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist