What causes knee pain and lower leg swelling?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Knee pain and lower leg swelling with no reason, i woke up with it, know what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is most probably knee synovitis

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and most probably you are having knee synovitis. In this condition there is reduction in joint space and pain in knee. Before I advised you any further I would like to know little detail of the illness.
1.Did you walk for long distance or stand for long time last night?
2.Did you have pain in knee in past or difficulty in squatting or sitting cross leg?
3.Do you have Diabetes or thyroid problems?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 29 minutes later
I never got answer till just now not 13 minutes ago and the answers to your questions are no, no and no.

TO your disclaimer if i have to go to the doctor why am I paying you's $15.?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to take NSAID

Detailed Answer:
thanks for replying. I think it is most probably knee synovitis due to collection of fluid in the knee joint.It can happen due to twisting of knee or sleeping in wrong position. I have following suggestions for you.
1.Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for a period of 3 days
2.Hot water fomentation.
3.Diclofenac gel local application.
i hope these steps will be helpful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Why would my leg be swollen, the day before my other leg was swollen? Thanks XXXX

I'm sorry, i should of added that, but yeah the other leg was swollen the day before and it went back to normal and i wake up the swelling was gone in that leg, and its was swollen for a couple weeks, the other leg was swollen, crazy huh?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Swelling in leg can be due to water retention

Detailed Answer:
Swelling in leg can be due to multiple causes. It can be due to prolong standing or keeping your leg hanging for long time.Also knee synovitis can cause such swelling. High blood pressure can also cause swelling in leg which disappear on rest. But if swelling is not staying for more then 24 to 48 hours then it is not an issue. If you have swelling even after you do rest then you may need to check for DVT. But if swelling disappear on rest then there is no need to get worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak