What causes knee pain after jogging?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I started jogging for 20-30 minutes daily for last 10 days. But from last 3-4 days I am feeling pain in my right knee. Also slight pain in left knee.

Please let me know is this because of joining and any advise for the same.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Jogging seems to be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The cause of your suffering is because of excessive physical exercises as it all started after that and may be not supplemented by proper diet.
You might have increased the physical exercise for which your body was not prepared for (If am not incorrect). I have seen many patient’s like you and others preparing for police and Para military forces.
For now my advice would be-
1. Take a break from jogging for few days and do walking.
2. Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.
3. Take Ibuprofen to reduce pain and may do ice fomentation for few days. If you like you may have nutritional joint supplement like glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: What causes knee pain after jogging? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I need below 2 clarifications,

1. For the Calcium, Vitamin D, B12 and B6 do i need to take the tablets ?
2. The nutritional joint supplement like glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate will be available in medical store with the same name ? Or any specific brand/name is available ?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you.
You are welcome.The daily requirement of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin is high. To have this amount diet needs to be supplemented by commercially available tablet or capsule. If there is a history of kidney stone calcium supplementation needs to be under supervision of local doctor.
The recommended dose of glucosamine sulphate is 1500mg and chondroitin sulphate is 800-1200mg daily in divides doses. Glucosamine by nutralite is a good brand and with balanced composition. Other brands are lubrijoint plus, rejoint and so on. This is usually given for 3 months and then 6 months off after there is symptomatic improvement. This is not a pain killer so additional medicines are required for pain control and optimum joint activity.
Hope this answer your query.

Follow-up: What causes knee pain after jogging? 21 hours later
Thanks for the details. But i am little confused of what tablets/capsules I need to take as the list seems big.
So can you please let me know what tablets I need to take in this condition.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello
My suggestions for you are as follows-
1. Cap.uprise D3 60K once a week for 3 months then once a month. May get vitamin D checked at least once a year.
2. Tab.Shelcal Once daily and 5 days a week for 3 month.
3. Cap.Glucosamine (nutralite) one cap twice daily for 3 months.
I hope this helps.