What causes knee pain after a bout of pneumonia?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son has been complaining of pain in his knees for 2 years, especially at night. Most of the times he can’t sleep and cries in agonizing pain.
He was hospitalized at 2 for upper respiratory infection, 2 months later he was hospitalized for pneumonia.
He had a fever since December 30 and was told it’s just a cold, we went for more check up 8 days later and did a swab which came out negative. 13 days into his fever I took him to the ER and he was diagnosed with an ear infection, sinus infection, and lung infection. He is currently taking antibiotics, painkillers and inhalers.
Could his knee pains be related to his past sicknesses? Or are there any certain tests I should ask to have done for his pain?
It is mostly at night but he has pain during the day and sometimes limps when he’s walking especially after a long day of activities?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I feel these are growth pains - don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. I have gone through the details which you have provided. I feel that these are growth pains, because, the description which you are giving is classically fitting into growth pains according to medical literature.

Coming to your queries one by one -

1. These are growth pains and are not related to the old history of illness which he had.

2. These are also not related to the medications which he is on now.

3. There are no specific test which you can take for this pains. But sometimes when kids are deficient in vitamin D, then, these pains can aggravate. I suggest that you get vitamin D level checked and get back to me. I will suggest you the appropriate dosage of vitamin D according to the result.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana