What causes knee buckling in a person with vitamin B 12 deficiency indicate?
Kindly consult an Orthopaedician regarding knee problem
Thanks for writing in to us at hcm.
This is Dr.Riyanka and I am glad to be helping you with your query.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan diet, your risk for a B12 deficiency is much higher . This is because most food sources of B12 come from animal products, such as:dairy,eggs,fish,meat.
Latest Tests to find out Vitamin B12 deficiency are:
1. Tests to measure Vitamin B12 levels
2. Follow-up with tests for antibodies to intrinsic factor which is are recommended to identify this potential cause of vitamin B12 malabsorption.
3. Also follow-up testing of vitamin B12 tissue deficiency by measuring MMA (MMAS / Methylmalonic Acid [MMA], Quantitative, Serum) and/or homocysteine (HCYSP / Homocysteine, Total, Plasma)may be of good use.
Mostly your knee problems are due to age related osteoporosis for which kindly consult an Orthopaedician .He shall advice you for X Ray and Dexa scn to measure bone density levels. Also he shall advice you to take calcium supplements,Vitamin D and newer drugs like Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs) or Biphosphonates like alendronate.
Also they shall advise you excercises.
Hope this answers your query. Don't worry .
Do write back if you have any further doubts.
Get well soon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes vitamin b12 deficiency
- Can gliclazide cause vitamin b12 deficiency
- What is the treatment for vitamin b12 deficiency
- Overload of vitamin b12 causes
- Vitamin b12 deficiency pituitary
- Causes of low vitamin b12
- Can vitamin b 12 deficiency cause hallucinations
- Does a vitamin b 12 deficiency cause petechiae
- What are the symptoms of vitamin b12 deficiency
- Vitamin b12 deficiency causes