What causes kidney disease?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have just been told I have stage 3 kidney disease......why wasnt I ever told I had stage 1 and 2 kidney disease...what would your recommendations be for future to keep me from getting worse i. e foods, diet, liquids and excercise if any............ I have always drank plenty of water so I don't why I have bad kidneys...
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ckd 3

Detailed Answer:
Most common causes of kidney disease is blood pressure ( hypertension) and diabetes. use of pain killers repeated urine infections also contribute to renal disease. stages of kidney disease are based on GFR ( glomerular filtration rate ) level. once GFR in below 60 ml/minute it is stage 3 disease.

stage 1 and 2 are commonly missed as kidney disease is a silent disease and does not have many symptoms in early stages.

Food- avoid non veg food - meat products have lot of protein- yu should take 0.8 gm/kg/day proteins in diet. better is to go for vegetarian food. do not take things rich in phosphorus and potassium.

liquids - if there is no swelling in the feet- you can take upto 2 liter fluids per day. drinking more water > 3 L is not beneficial to the kidney. It may cause water retention and swelling as renal disease progresses. Avoid pain killers and tobacco products.

you can do aerobic exercises but heavy wt lifting and body building exercise should be avoided.

Best Wishes.

Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 5 hours later
Thanks.......What kind of medicine should I be on for kidney disease? I have cramps in my legs at times and I have been told that I am low in potassium so I started taking it regularly. Is it possible I made those numbers spike that high? ..I am also anemic and must have a little red meat...How do I know what foods contain phosporous...what are my limits
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
CRF

Detailed Answer:
Type of medicine will depend on the cause of kidney disease. for eg. if kidney disease is because of BP- you need Blood pressure medicine. If it is from diabetes you need sugar control medicine. it there is lot of protein in urine you need to control the proteinuria. this can only be judged by an opd visit to a nephrologist and doing the supportive tests.

Potassium should be maintained between 4 to 5 mEq/L blood levels. If lower you have to take potassium supplements. You should recheck potassium level every week till it is normal and then monthly.

Anemia cannot be corrected by red meat. You have to get your iron studies blood test done if percentage iron saturation is less than 20% you need to have iron supplementation. If GFR is less than 40ml/minute then you may be benefited by erythropoitin injections.

milk and meat based foods have phosphorus. your limit are to maintain blood level below 5.0 mg/dl phosphorus. Diet should have less than 800mg of phosphorus per day.

best wishes.