What causes keratoconjunctivitis?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: can cancer cause keratoconjunctivitis-sicca and eyelid blepharitis- squamous. my eyes have been bloodshot for a few months and sore but I also have sore throat and ear pain. never asked eye Dr this but he just gave me drops called zylet and it hasn't helped.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No they are not related to cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query,

As per uyour question,
Keratoconjunctivitis is a condition in which the membranes on the surface of the eye known as the conjunctiva become red and inflammed. This occurs when the surface of the eye becomes dry due to a lack of quality tears.
Main reasons that keratoconjunctivitis sicca occurs are -
The eye no longer makes enough tears to keep the surface moist and the eye dries out.
The eye does make enough tears, but they evaporate too quickly. The tears produced are of poor quality and are unable to coat the surface of the eye.
Association of this condition with cancer is very very rare.

Blepharitis commonly occurs when tiny oil glands located near the base of the eyelashes become clogged. This leads to irritated and red eyes.Association with cancer is not directly related.

Relation of both these condition with cancer is very rare.
In case you need any other help feel free to ask,
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana