• question-icon

What causes juvenile idiopathic scoliosis?

Posted on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 in Back Pain
Question: a 7 years old girl just currently noted and diagnosed having a lumbar levoscoliosis of about 25-30 degrees with mild thoracic ( believed compensatory curve . No pain. no noticeble leg's length descrepancy nor shoulder tilting. no detectable neuro deficit. No nutritional problem. No history of significant injury.
Physical activities; participate gymn at school, swimming, good horse back riding for her age.
Prognosis ? Is there any chance of resolving or self limiting progression ? What is the proper management and if ever possible non surgical ? Can putting her to sleep on her right side may reduce the curvature in a long run. Will horse back riding worsen due to the impact. Where is the best center for juvenile scoliosis ?
Appreciate and thank you for your advice in advance.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bracing is required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I have worked through your query in detail.

I can certainly understand your concerns.

Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis is a subacute form of adolescent scoliosis.

This is a rapidly progressive form of scoliosis and under no circumstances, It is self resolving.

Only angulation under 20 degrees had to be observed with periodic imaging.

Values in between 20 to 25 degrees require bracing as a treatment option at the earliest.

This will only prevent further worsening and avoid surgery.

Horse back riding will not worsen scoliosis.

Putting her to sleep on the right side has no effect on the outcome.

I can provide you with a best center for therapy if you can provide me your residential address.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 6 hours later
Will bracing need to be 24/7. Can she take it off during night sleep. What kind of brace is more effective ? The soft or the hard one.
She lives in XXXXXXX XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Boston's Brace is advocated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I apologize for the delayed response owing to my work schedule.

You have 2 kinds of braces- XXXXXXX and Boston's Brace.

The latter is more suitable and cosmetically acceptable for Lumbar levoscoliosis.

The Boston's brace is often prescribed to be worn for 23 hours a day for several years, or in some cases, permanently if there is significant delay or arrest of angle progression.

The brace is intended to minimize the progression to an acceptable level, not to correct the curvature. For corrective measures, special exercises or physical activities are used. If the curvature continues despite the brace, surgery may be required.

The indication for surgery is an angle exceeding 40 degrees and virtually all cases with an angle greater than 50 degrees.
XXXXXXX brace is made of high-density polypropylene lined with polyethylene foam.Pads are placed at the apex of the curves to provide pressure, and areas of relief from pressure are positioned opposite the curves.Hence, it is a kind of Soft brace.

For expert management, I advise you to go for the following center.

XXXX XXXX

YYYY@YYYY
XXXX

Monday - Thursday
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. / 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Friday / 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu