What causes joint pains during winter?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hello Doc ! My mom is having knee pain (right leg) for a month. Every year, specially during winter time, she gets such joint pains for at least 10 days. After taking medications, she will get relieved of the pain. This year, it continues in spite of taking medications for more than 10 days
An Ortho specialist prescribed medicines like Omez, Zerodol - P and some vitamin capsules. Her symptoms are swelling of joints, specially at her right knee and mild swelling in her toes and finger joints. She is finding so hard to climb staircase.
After taking necessary lab tests for arthritis, it was all normal as told by the Ortho specialist.

Recently through some of our friends, we heard of Class IV Deep Tissue Laser Therapy which is great for relieving pain at joints. Can you please let me know how the therapy is efficient in relieving joint pain? will it be beneficial to give it a try? Please suggest any herbal or drug therapy as mom is reluctant to go under the knife for a surgery.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EXPLAINED below

Detailed Answer:
Hello I have studied your case.
As per your mothers symptoms she may be having age related knee osteoarthritis.
Laser therapy may give temporary relief but may have side effects.
Laser work s by burning the pain receptors and reducing inflammation.
Long term study results are not available.
SO you can take laser therapy considering side effect .
You can take chondritin sulphate 1500 mg daily once a day.
Ayurvedic foursteps tab she can take twice daily.
If not relieved then MRI may be required.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. Can you let me know the side effects of Laser Therapy?
How about Physiotherapy exercises? will it relieve pain?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Old injuries may be aggravated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Side effects of laser are,

It takes a series of treatments, usually 8 to 30, depending on the severity and duration of the condition.
Patients often have to return to the doctor for treatments at least 2 to 4 times per week. Old injuries may be aggravated for a few days after treatments.
Long term studies of benefit are not available.

Yes physiotherapy will help but temporary, pain relief is good with out side effects.But you may need to take for long time.
Ultrasound and TENS therapy may help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.