What causes joint pain?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 22 Dec 2014 in Lupus
Question: I have joint pain periodically. Exhaustion. Low tolerance to activity, but I force myself to go for it. periodic rashes on legs, ankles, body trunk. And recently my left hand swelled two sizes. With Advil and capisasin cream, the symptoms were relived.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rheumatology consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Gone through query. I find periodic pain a feature of chronic joint problem. Do you have swelling of those joints. Is there symmetrical involvement? Does the joint pain occur one after other? Are all joints involved at same time?

Since there are other problems like exhaustion, especially accompanying rash I find it appropriate for rheumatology screen. There are many issues that can be related to the above symptoms mentioned. Few I could think are lupus. Osteoarthritis can sometimes have rash.

So a good history with examination coupled with few tests can find you. A strict NO for any activity when you have pain and exhausted.

Let me know any other details.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari