What causes joint pain during pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hello, im 8weeks pregnant and im experiencing very horrible joint pain knees,shoulder,wrist, i have been taking tylonel but the pain is getting so severe the OTC medication is not working my question is, is there any safe pain medication that be prescribed to me tjat wont hurt the pregnancy the pain at night and morning is getting out of control i jave tried icing it pretty much everything
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE. CONSULT WITH DOCTOR.

Detailed Answer:

1) Joint pain during pregnancy may be due to fluid gain, weight gain (create more pressure over joints), Carpal Tunnel Syndrome etc. Here, we need to rule out hypothyroidism (most common) and arthritis in addition to above.

2) I suggest you to undergo one clinical examination to your doctor and undergo some initial investigation like blood sugar (PPBS), Serum TSH, Hb%. Assessment of blood pressure is also required. It will be helpful to confirm the diagnosis.

3) At this stage, you can ONLY take TYLENOL (Acetaminophen) to reduce joint pain. It is the SAFE medicine during pregnancy.

Other protocol like using muscle relaxant gel, hot water bag compression etc are quite useful measurement. Take adequate bed rest and elevate your feet end.

4) Take complete prescription from your doctor after diagnosis of the case. NO external drug is recommended without doctor's recommendation as it can cause harmful effect to your growing baby.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326