What causes joint pain after recovering form chikungunya?

Posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

I had Chickengunia on 14th October. Post 4-5 days there was no fever and I resumed office after a weeks rest as suggested by the doctor. Even after almost 50days now, pain in my fingers and leg (feet to be precise) is still persistent and its difficult walking at times. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Takes time

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

Joint pains after Chikungunya is known as Post Chikungunya Arthritis. It takes months to get rid of this pain.

So, we always suggest that if the pain is bearable then one should bear it and if it
is unbearable then only take treatment.

I usually treat my patients with medicines like Hydroxycholoroquine (HCQS) 200 mg twice daily along with Etoricoxib for sever pain.

In few cases, when joint mobility is severely compromised, steroids are also indicated.

So, at this point of time discuss with your doctor for treating you with HCQS alone and take Etoricoxib 90 mg occasionally when you are feeling severe pain.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.

Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Dr. Anshul Varshney