What causes joint and tendon pain between fingers and arm?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have joint or tendon pain mostly in elbows and I between pinky fingers both left and right arm mostly right. Only right hand and elbow get stiff and swollen in morning. The more I use them like computer work the worse it gets. One dr says its just repetitive use and maybe a little arthritis but my other dr thinks its RA like poly arthritis. I had all negative blood work. No signs of inflammation or RA negative. I've been on predinose which helped some but is causing yeast infection and other problems and now he wants me on methrotrexate. Seems like harsh drugs for nothing positive yet. And this all started four weeks after a 17 strain pnemonia shot. So I'm wondering reactive arthritis? Any suggestions....
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rheumatoid arthritis has definitive features

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and would like to know the duration of symptoms?
In rheumatoid arthritis following features are usually present-
1. It is bilateral symmetrical and in the beginning involves small joints of hand, feet and wrist. Morning stiffness for more than 1 hour. These symptoms should be present for minimum of 6 weeks.
2. RA factor may or may not be positive in rheumatoid arthritis. The more specific test is AntiCCP antibody test.
Do you have any feature mentioned above?
Having said that in the beginning all the feature may not be present. So it's basically a clinical diagnosis. The drug methotrexate is safe to take.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 27 minutes later
It's in last two finger joints by hands and both elbows and knees hurt slightly. Most right side is way worse. It started over night in right hand and elbow and then went to other side but not bad. It's been three and a half months. Some days are better but on prednisone. Morning stiffness is only in right hand for about half an hour in morning but pain doent start until I use it through out day. Like computer work makes pain way worse. Worse by night time. I had a anticcp which was normal or negative range which ever. Had X-rays were normal but this was at beginning stages. Just wondering can you think of anything besides RA it could be with all normal blood work or he calls it polyarthritis and does that type ever get better? Also does methotrexate work well and do you always loss your hair and can your immune system fight bugs like strep or flu when on it? I already had an yeast infection in mouth. Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rheumatoid arthritis is a clinical diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and your reply, you have developed polyarthritis for nearly three and half months and the most common cause seems to be rheumatoid arthritis. If the blood test is negative, then the polyarthritis is of mild variety and has good prognosis as compare to patients with positive blood test. Rheumatoid arthritis is diagnosed based on clinical sign and symptoms.
Do you have a family history of polyarthritis? And does your pain and stiffness increases after a period of Inactivity? Please share it.

Just like various chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and ischemic heart disease are not curable but controllable; rheumatoid arthritis is also controllable. With proper medication you can lead an absolutely normal life without any pain or disability. The drugs usually given are methotrexate, HCQS, Sulfsalazine along with folic acid and pain killer.It is not advisable to stop medication on your own as it only leads to accrual of joint damage and leads to joint deformities.

Your doctor(rheumatologist/physician/Orthopaedic surgeon) will decide the safe dose of methotrexate and usually it is safe and does not have side effects like loss of hair and secondary infection like flu etc. So keep a positive attitude and take regular medication; also exercise regularly.
Please feel free to ask me if you have any other query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 8 hours later
I mostly just wake up with stiffness in hands but not for long. Pain is usually as the day goes all day the more I use the elbows and hands. Os if i use them alot the next day is bad. So from your answer your saying it could be ra but a mild form since blood work is negative so they call it polyartritis????; Guess that would be a better prognosis correct? I guess your saying it can be manable with proper drugs. I know methrotrexate lowers immune system so can you still fight sickness on it. We are currently trying to slowly get me off my predninose and up methrotexate because of my immune system and bone loss. I'm hurting more coming off the predinose I'm hoping it levels off and pain gets better. Thanks again ..last questions!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have a good prognosis and early recovery

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for giving the reply.
After going through the whole discussion, you have good prognosis and early recovery with minimum necessary dose of methotrexate without any serious side effect.
Please do not lose hope and if you have any more query please do not hesitate.
If you ever need my suggestion in future you may log in at http://bit.ly/drmchugh

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Thank you for taking the time to really read into this. I'm just worried because I have young children and coming slowly off prednisone is starting to make my arms and hands really hurt again and I'm not even off yet so I'm hoping methrotrexate helps. I also was concerned about immune system and picking up stuff hard to fight off. Thanks for your i out and time! Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the nice words. Besides having methotrexate you should have-
1. Diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6. To increase the bone strength.
2. Fish oil- It contain omega-3 fatty acids and have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body. Several studies have shown that fish oil supplements may help reduce morning stiffness with RA.Doses greater than 3 grams per day may increase the chance of bleeding.
3. Thunder god vine is an herb. Its leaves and root are used to make medicine. It also helps in reducing pain and swelling.
You may discuss these options with your doctor and may follow his advice.

Hope this helps. If you have further query please do not hesitate or you may close the present discussion.

Above all 'BE POSITIVE’, God is very kind.