What causes itchy skin when diagnosed with liver cirrhosis?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have cirrhosis of the liver and I have unbearable itching the dermatologist said he heard that people with cirrhosis itch but gave me no help to control it,and sometimes I can't even stop itching long enough to write this question! I also have helP.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Any itching associated with liver dysfunction is attributed to hyperbilirubinemia and needs some bile salt supplements to help relieve the itching along with supportive measures your doctor prescribed with topical corticosteroids, anti histamines etc. I would suggest addition of doxepin as well.

Cirrhosis does not cause itch but indirectly due to reduced functioning of liver, deposition of waste products and inability of liver to detoxify the substances or excrete the waste products like conjugated bilirubin due to scarring in ducts may lead to obstructive pattern and may give such itch so no big deal. All it needs is supportive care.

I hope it helps . Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan