What causes itchy scalp with scales?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an itchy scalp with sores on it along with sore lumps behind right ear and itchy upper chest and upper back
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
You seem to be suffering from Seborrheic dermatitis.
It is a type of eczema with underlying fungal etiology and presents as itchy red rashes covered with greasy scales over face( eyebrows, nasal folds, behind ears), chest, upper back and scalp. Severe scratching can lead to sore formation and infection over scalp and this may present as enlarged lymph nodes in occipital area, over neck or behind ears. Once the infection subsides the enlarged lymph node subsides too.

In such cases I usually advise,
Ketoconazole shampoo. Use it every alternate days. Apply over scalp and keep it for five to ten minutes then wash off.
Apply steroid antifungal lotion like candid b lotion over scalp as well as itchy areas over chest, face and back twice daily.
Take tablet cetrizine twice daily.

If there is secondary infection, then sometimes a topical and oral antibiotic needs to be added. If the eczema is severe, then a course of oral steroids, oral antifungal, isotretinoin may be required as per the need.

For further clarification, I would advise that you upload an image of your affected lesions.
Hope this helped.