What causes itchy scalp bump?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: A few months ago I noticed my daughter (three in February) itching the base of her skull. I couldn't see anything but could feel a small, soft lump under the skin. She said it itches when she touched it. I assumed it was a bug bite and forgot about it. Tonight i noticed it was still there. She says it is still itchy and it bothers get when I touch it. It has not grown and the skin is not red
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be seborhic dermatitis or fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your daughter had been experiencing lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be seborhic dermatitis or fungal infection like tinea capitis however I would recommend to get her reviewed by a dermatologist.

Using topical steroids can worsen fungal infections but cure the dermatitis and using antifungals in dermatitis won't help. So careful examination is preferred before starting any treatment but if it's there for months and not spreading aggressively it favors more towards dermatitis.

Meanwhile keep the scalp moist with emolient oils can help to counter the dryness which can exacerbate these skin conditions. Oral anti histamines like cetrizine can help with itching. Using vitamin C and E can nourish the skin alongwith micronutrients like zinc etc. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 hours later
thank you, so you recommend the vitamin c and e be taken orally or applied topically
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Taking orally will suffice the need

Detailed Answer:
Taking orally will suffice the need.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T