What causes itchy red rashes on the back and chest?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Experiencing red rashes all over back and chest, it itches a lot, has been persistent the past two weeks. I got vaccine shots back in February, included a shot for chickenpox, measles.The month before I had a white scaly mark on my check near my lip, this slowly went away after a week.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be acneform eruption

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it looks like acneform eruption.
In such cases I recommend my patients to take tablet doxycycline 100 mg once daily and apply benzoyl peroxide 10 percent gel on the affected areas twice daily.
For itching I recommend them to take tablet Loratidine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
This is continued for 5-6 weeks to see significant response.
This rash is not related to any vaccination.
Besides this avoid oiling of the back and chest and don't wear tight clothes.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 22 hours later
Is there anything over the counter
Brief Answer:
Oral antibiotics are prescription drugs, Loratidine is over the counter

Detailed Answer:
You can apply benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel or adapelene 0.1 percent gel or clindamycin 1 percent gel; but I don't think they are available over the counter in your country.
Tablet Loratidine (claritin) is available over the counter.

Oral antibiotics won't be available as over the counter either. These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad