What causes itchy red rashes on legs?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son woke up the other morning and he said his legs were itching he had red rash but it went away.Last night my son went running and when he got home he had white bumps looked like hives all over his body front back and they were itchy.hes never had that before.Hes been runny for about 6 months now he's getting into shape going to bootcamp in a few weeks. could it be his nerves or his sweat ? it went away about 30 min or so . he went running today in the day and he had a few red spots
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely an allergic rash..Please attach an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform
I can understand your concern.I have gone through the details and to me it appears to be skin rashes due to allergic reaction (urticarial rash).
I would like to know if there is similar past history or any family history of allergy.
Allergy can be due to dust,pollen,mites or any food item.
Although it is difficult to find out specific cause, if possible try to find out the allergen.
Giving antiallergic like cetrizine or diphenhydramine would help in prevention of recurrence.
Skin lesions are best diagnosed by direct examination.I would request you to attach an image so that I better able to help you out.
If skin rashes increases rapidly or you find any other abnormality like breathing difficulty,swelling of body or decreased urinary output consult a pediatrician immediately for evaluation and management accordingly.
Please let me know if you have any more query.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 hours later
this picture shows 2 it's not to bad this time
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely allergic rash

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I have seen the image and I think it has much improved(I could find only two small bumps).
I suggest you to stay relaxed.
Give him some antiallergic as advised if the skin rashes worsen.Try to find out the precipitating factor i.e. the allergen,so that you can avoid the exposure to prevent recurrences.

I shall be glad to answer if you have any more doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 37 minutes later
they only happen after he gets back from his run they start to appear but the 30 min later they start to go away.the pic was when he just got back from his run
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
exercise induced urticaria is the most likely cause

Detailed Answer:
The urticarial rash getting precipitated by running or jogging is very common in exercise induced urticaria.
Giving prophylactic antiallergic medication like montelukast alone or with cetrizine can provide relief.
Running or jogging should be stopped soon when rashes appear.
I would suggest you to consult an allergist for proper evaluation and management accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 30 minutes later
can I get anything over the counter for now can't get in to see his pcp till dec. I bought benadryl for him is that ok
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can give benadryl

Detailed Answer:
Benadryl contains diphenhydramine an antihistaminic/antiallergic.You can give this your child as and when required till you visit his doctor.

Wishing for your child's good health.
Thanks and regards