• question-icon

What causes itchy rashes on feet?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: developed an itchy rash after extremely hot hike 1 week ago. Have history of similar rashes only on feet after wearing shoes for too long on hot days. i had assumed it was athlete's foot and was treating with foot spray but problem has not gone away, and has now spread to arms, underarms, ankles, and hands.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic skin reaction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I saw your photo.

It is not a rash similar to athletes foot, so that spray will not help.
It is most probably an allergic rash. You might have eaten something, taken any medicine, changed a detergent, ect. So basically think of what new you have used recently that might have caused the rash, so you can avoid that after because you surely are allergic from it.

Take Fexofenadine 120mg, 1 tb twice/day. It will help with the itchiness.
If not better or if worse after 48 hours you will need to see a dermatologist locally who can prescribe oral steroids.

Also, if you start having fever, or other systematic symptoms, you need to go to the ER as soon as possible so the doctors there would do a physical exam and needed testing.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Klarida Papaqako