What causes itchy rashes all over the body?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I have developed bumps in a rash type form all over my body including my hair. They itch like crazy and when I scratch the area it turns red then when it stops being red the bumps can be white or brown. The itch is random can be on my arm then when I scratch it for maybe 15 seconds its ok for a little while but then my knee can itch then maybe my back or neck and so on and so forth. My GP gave me a RX for a tube of medicine to stop the itch and it did for a couple of hours then it started again. Also, sometimes I forget I'm scratching and it begins to bleed when it heals the scab does not want to go away if I scratch it off it leaves it either a brown spot or a white spot and they never go away. Does this sound like anything you ever heard of. Thank you for your time.
Sue Sumner
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information and preferably a few images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps you have a form of an eczema.
I request you to kindly upload a few good quality images of the various affected areas in "Reports Section" so that I am able to have a better understanding of your skin condition and hence guide you better.
I would also like to know the duration since you first noticed the bumps?

Follow-up: What causes itchy rashes all over the body? 2 days later
Dr.Kakkar.S,
Thank you for your response. It is difficult to do a good picture because the bumps blend into my skin and leaves me feeling them . I can see them but others have trouble seeing them. Since you are answering as a dermatologist I'm thinking I need to get my G P to recommend one also?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'd suggest an oral antihistamine e.g Cetirizine

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome back,

Yes, certainly so. However, I'd suggest you take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetirizine 10mg tab once every evening for a few days. Perhaps what you have is just Hives and Cetirizine would definitely help. It is available over the counter (OTC).

In addition, you may use a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion for symptomatic relief from itching.