Owl Image

What causes itchy rash on skin?

Question
Hi. I have some kind of rash that developed on my skin and it itches terribly and i thought it was poison ivy but i dont think it is. Ive had it for about 6 days now. It has gotten worse over time i believe. What is it and how can i clear it up?
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral anti histaminic (anti allergic) drugs are hel

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The way the rash presents , and the speedy onset, added to the redness and itches is very suggestive of a reaction/allergy to something. This could be a chemical, an insect bite or some other thing.

It might be of interest to use some local steroid to apply on the skin around this area. This shall reduce the inflammation an itches. Antiallergic drugs are generally available to rapidly relieve symptoms like Mequitazine 10mg tablets or Desrolatadine 5mg tablets. These are drugs easily seen and sold over the counter.

Local anti histaminic (anti allergic) drugs that can be applied locally are drugs like Phernergan can be used in case symptoms fail to resolve rapidly on oral drugs only.

I really do not think this should be the case, based on the intensity and size of the lesions. Oral anti allergic drugs should be sufficient. You really need not panic.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dr Bain