What causes itchy nose, sneezing and thick mucus discharge?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 29 May 2014 in General Health
Question: hi doctor,i have been struggling for 2 weeks with severe itchy nose,sneezing constantly trying to clear my airways, i seem to be producing a lot of clear mucus.ive tried antihistamines i rinse twice daily with a sinus rinse,i use a cortisone type nose sprayas a preventer,all to know avail.in the past i have been put on a week course of panafacortalone 25.dosage bieng one tablet each morning for three days then half a tablet for 4 days then stop.i have some tablets left from the last bout so do u think i shuod start this treatment in the morning.regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nasal allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX, thanks for your query.

Analyzing your symptoms I feel probably you have nasal allergy.
You have already taken antihistamines and short course of steroids for a week. But symptoms are still persisting.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have asked you to continue with antihistamines ( loratidine with ambroxol) for 4weeks , steroids tablet for another 3 days and stop.
I would also prescribe you with monteleukast ( anti leukotriene drug) one in night for 6weeks.
Continue with nasal steroid spray 2 puff twice daily.

If with this treatment if symptoms persists for more than another 2 weeks.
Then I would ask for a blood test,Abosult eosinophil count, allergy skin prick testing to detect the allergen.

If report shows feature suggestive of infection then I would start antibiotics.
If it suggest allergy itself ,then above discussed treatment is sufficient.
Normally it takes more than 4weeks for controlling nasal allergy symptoms.
Yes you can take the last bout of medicines as prescribed earlier.after it finishes you can continue with my treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.
Pleased to help you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T