What causes itchy lesions on skin despite having normal STD test reports?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had these markings for 7 years now. What are they?
I was also told this: "You can rest assured the lesions that you have been carrying for years altogether is not an std , or a variant of lichen sclerosus or an eczema but a recurrent ulceration due to friction."
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photographs.
I would like to know few details.
1. Do you have any symptoms like pain or itch ?
2. Are there any fluid filled lesions ?
3. Do these lesions remain constant or they vary with time ?
4. Did they appear after sexual contact?
Please answer the above so I can help you better.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 minutes later
1. No pain, no itch.
2. No fluid filled lesions. These are relatively flat, scale like grooves.
3. The markings or lesions as you state remain constant.
4. I can not recall as this appeared atleast 7 years ago. If I remember correctly it started as a small red circle that opened but eventually healed. This has seemed to be an after-effect. If I remember correctly at first, it was kind of itchy. I was tested 3-4 times for STDs at an STD clinic over a 3 year period before getting married and since have only had 1 sexual partner. (my wife) I was tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, HIV with blood and swap (all negative). Visually inspected for: Genital warts, Herpes, Molluscum contagiosum, Pubic lice and Scabies (was told I had small genital warts). Was given cream and they went away. Very rarely do they come back. My wife did confirm she's had HPV before but all recent testing at her Gynecologist report no HPV present anymore and for the last few years we have had unprotected sex numerous times.

I will note though: around the time that I discovered the a red circle in this area I believe I also noticed a white tacky fluid in my mouth. It was sticking to tonsil area. That all cleared up very fast but not sure if it has anything to do with it.

These scars have remained unchanged for years.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 minutes later
Disregard the tonsil mentioning, after looking online I can confirm that was Tonsillitis.
I also want to mention that I specifically pointed out this area to the Dr at the STD clinic and she said it was just eczema. The only problem is, nothing seems to help make it go away completely. Its almost scaring like the other Dr said recently. He said it was Frictional Scaring formation hence awkward coronal lining of glans.

Another note: almost as long as I can remember Ive waken up in the morning with an erection and that side of my penis rubbing the mattress with or without underwear on. Even to this day. Not sure if this could be the reason but I just feel I have treated the area so much with oils, lotions and ointment that it should be going away.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lichen planus

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
It appears like lichen planus.
It is an autoimmune disorder and presents with white lacy lesions on mucosa.
It is generally itchy but can even be without itch.
I treat such cases with topical steroid cream like mometasone .
Twice daily application of this cream for 15 days gives good relief.
You can try this.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. I spoke to another Dr and to summarize, he said it was; desquamated lesions following frictional injury.

Would you agree?

Lastly, Where can I get the medication your speaking of?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not frictional injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello welcome back,
Thanks for the follow up.

A frictional injury should have pain or any other symptoms and it cannot stay for so long hence I differ in opinion.

This cream should be available over the counter.
Please check with your nearest chemist.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 24 minutes later
To be exact, he said frictional scarring. But you still don't agree wit that?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lichen planus

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I still believe it is lichen planus.
Please go ahead with the medication.
You should get relief.
Thank you.