question-icon

What causes itchy eyes, low grade fever and anorexia in a child?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016
Question: 4 year old complaining of itchy eyes with low grade fever 101.0. Very little appetite. Gave 2.5 ml benadryl and 150mg ibuprofen
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. You need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the temperature. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use ibuprofen which is more effective but causes gastric irritation. Also use tepid sponging. Giving some antiallergic like benadryl will take care of the allergic manifestations.

Please be patient, it should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician