What causes itchy ears?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi
I feel itchy in my ears all the time .
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
how do you clean your ears?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for this comment.
One problem that can cause itchy ears is cleaning out all the wax. Wax is meant to protect the ear canals and dry skin and itchiness can occur when it is cleaned out too thoroughly.
If you use Q-tips or cotton swabs on your ears please stop.
When you clean your ears use only a washcloth wrapped around a finger. Do not insert anything into the canal.
If you just have dry ears normally then get some ear wax softener at the drug store and put in a couple drops in your ears at bedtime.
If you have rashes on your ears you will need to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
Best regards
Dr. Robinson