• question-icon

What causes itching under the knees after placement of stents?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My father had severe heart attack, and he had stunting done in main LAD and he is debtic too.but after stunting he is complaing itching under the knees and now after 6 days we saw red small spots in his whole body specially under knees,back ,stomach and in chest with itching .kindly sugest
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you of your father I understand your concern for his health and here I would like to tell you that as your father has underwent Angioplasty (Stenting) for LAD that's why he has been put on dual antiplatelet drug therapy.

This dual therapy is important to keep stent patent by preventing the formation of blood clot inside it. But this dual therapy has the side effects of increased bleeding complications just like your father is facing. In such a scenario one of the drug out of the dual therapy is stopped for a while mostly Aspirin, but it has to be kept in mind that it increases the risk of sudden stent thrombosis.

So it highly advisable that you should personally consult your cardiologist and discuss with him regarding this. The information which I have given you will guide you in your discussion.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDS BY YOUR OWN.

Feel free to ask back if you have any more doubts

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 hours later
i read on intrenet somewhere it might be metal ellergy (stunt).kindly advice what to do i already discussed with our cardologost he said try to reduce ecosprn 75 mg instead of 150 mg
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Not all the information on internet is reliable neither are the source of information. For your information i would like to tell you that there is hardly any authentic documentation stating the stent allergy to present as ecchymosis (red spot) on the skin.

However there is a bundle of well studied and proven studies that shows the occurrence of these red spots in the patients taking dual anti coagulation therapy.

So its highly advisable to stick with your doctors advise of reducing the dose of ecosprin to 75mg.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 4 hours later
his diabtic is also ivery fluctuating
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Diabetes control plays a vital role although in all patients but its role become much much important in patients who have already underwent Coronary angioplasty.

So if his sugar levels are not under control and are fluctuating then in my opinion you should take the help of an Endocrinologist/Diabetologist for sugar control.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist