• question-icon

What causes itching throughout the body?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have itching all over my body and scalp and it seems to worsen at nite. I can relieve the itching by taking a antihistamine such as benadryl. Could it be a drug allergy?? My AM drugs are Metoprolol, Amlodopine, Lisinopril, Levothyroxine, Aspirin 325mg, Fish Oil 1000mg, Multivitamin, Glucosamine Chondroitin and Prilosec. My PM drugs are Simvastatin, Amlodipine, and Fiber Blend (a Vitamin Shoppe Fiber blend). The itching is the most pronounced in the PM as I go to bed. I have been taking these drugs for years and have had this itching for years thinking it was a dermatitis or dry skin problem. It has been worsening over the last month or so. What is your opinion as what I should do to diagnose and treat the problem?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes, would need assessment

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that it is a drug allergy. An allergic reaction can be possible to any drug or chemical agent.
It is possible to be allergic to any traditional or herbal medication.

Generalized itching may also be due to: (a) infection- such as scabies , this is normally worse at night.
Since the itching has been ongoing for years, it is not as likely

(b)eczema

(c)liver or kidney disease

(d)iron deficiency

(e)thyroid disease

(f)cancer

To diagnose the exact cause, you would need to consider seeing your doctor for assessment.
In addition to physical examination of the affected areas, you may need blood tests such possible allergy testing (possible to be tested for allergies to some drugs), liver and kidney function tests, complete blood count, thyroid function.

Assessment by your doctor would be the way to diagnose the exact cause and treat appropriately

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James