• question-icon

What causes itching throughout the body in the morning?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Treatment for morning itching
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends on the cause

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. In order for me to recommend you the right treatment I need to narrow down the possible causes.
The causes for morning itching may include dust mites, bed bugs, dermatitis, certain medications, personal hygiene and psychological factors.
If you are willing to provide more information regarding the time this began, frequency it happens, location on the skin, whether it is accompanied by any kind of rashes, and if so, what kind specifically (ideally send some pictures), I would be able to recommend something more specific, however, there are some things you can do in order to get relief, like take a bath before bed time, with warm water and a mild soap to avoid skin dryness, moisterizing with a hypoallergenic lotion, use 100% cotton sheets and clothing, keep room temperature low, change bed sheets ever other day and turn the mattress over once a week.

I hope this helps.
If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 42 minutes later
The itching is on back, midsection and arms. It started during a very stressful time 2 months ago. Initially a slight rash which got worse after scratching. In the past I have broke out with hives during stressful times. I have no rash now but itching continues in morning and lasts a couple of hours. I have purchase a sulfur soap and use it I'm am and pm. The only mess I take are a Zyrtec for allergies. Now Benadryl for the itch, 2 when itching occurs. I was away for 4 weeks and it continued so I do not think it is caused from bed or house mites. My stressful situation continues and I think I am managing this but I must admit I am depressed. Please offer some things I could do . Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress related itching

Detailed Answer:
Ruling out bed and house mites, in the absence of a well defined rash and other symptoms and since, apparently Zyrtec and Benadryl are not working, it seems very much like stress related itching.
Although rare, this king of itching is a real thing and can be treated with anti depressants.
I recommend you see a doctor and have a complete physical examination and if necessary some tests, in order to rule out organic causes. After having done this, the doctor will be able to take depression into consideration and prescribe the you the medication.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Ornela Ademovi