What causes itching, swelling, and burning under both eyes and how should it be treated?
I have had swelling under my left eye with itching, small scales and slight burning irritation (3/10) for 4 days. Under my right eye is also becoming affected with similar symptoms.
I had eyelash extensions placed on my eyelashes on December 17th. I have had 2 refills as recently as January 17th. I have not been able to properly clean my eyelashes bc doing so would shorten the eyelash extension life.
I tried taking off the eyelash extensions about a week ago but stopped bc I was taking off my eyelashes. I had the eyelash extensions professionally removed yesterday.
I do not have redness, pain or discharge to my eye, upper eyelids or lash lines.
Would you please provide a possible diagnosis with treatment plan? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Possible causes and recommendations given.
By what you explain the symptoms go with local irritation that might be contact dermatitis or eczema.
In both cases, your skin reacts to a certain agent, in contact dermatitis, it might be something locally applied and in the case of eczema, it is generally a tendency to react to agents that are not necessarily applied locally and most of the time it is not possible to know which.
In both cases, the treatment is with local steroids to reduce the irritation.
Because it is the face and especially being close to the eye it is best advisable to have a doctor see you and prescribe the steroid cream.
First is started with a mild steroid cream like hydcrocortisone and then if not good improvement in 2-3 days than stronger steroid might be used but with a lot of caution on the face.
Use of moisturizing creams might help a lot also or just petroleum locally at least twice a day to keep the skin in good condition.
To conclude I would say:
1. If you do not have any pain locally and no fever it is very unlikely this is an infection and also infection is very unlikely to be on both sides.
2. The most likely reason for the symptoms you have is a local reaction called contact dermatitis or a more general reaction called eczema (which very likely would have caused a rash in other areas of the skin previously and you would know you suffer from it).
3. I would recommend you to use the local moisturizing cream twice a day there- be cautious of the eyes to not put it in the eyes.
4. local steroids are helpful for such irritation but having the prescription of a doctor that has visited you first is advisable as steroids on the face can be risky if used not properly.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Zotaj Antoneta,
General & Family Physician
It is a pleasure
Meantime using the local moisturizers would help you also, please make sure they are plane meaning not much perfume or colors in them. Just petroleum locally might be enough and safe.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Zotaj Antoneta, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What caused itching and burning sensation in eyes
- What causes itching and burning red eyes
- Causes both eyes burning for two days
- Redness and swelling under eye peeling skin itching cause
- What are the causes for swelling in face and eyes
- Is swelling under eye caused due to juvederm injection
- What causes swelling under eyes what is the treatment
- What causes stingin and burning in eyes
- What causes swelling in eyes with headaches
- Can a stye cause swelling under the eye