What causes itching sensation on the penis?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: This is for my kid who is in prison.

I wrote before but what he had Not told me before is that someone gave him a cream
a couple of months ago ( I am assuming for pleasure) and he must have an allergic reaction to that.

He says the itching is unbearable from the tip in the inside 1/2 way down. There is no redness, bumps, or anything else that can be seen. The prison have not been helpful and I am seeking information that I can discuss with their dr's. He cannot even sleep at night. I can't imagine, and as a mom it's hard to know their child is suffering. Please help.
Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Plan of action.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Well this sounds perfectly miserable.

It's possible that he is having a continued reaction to the cream but there are a few things here that make me question that. If he put the cream on the outside of the penis, and had a reaction, there would be swelling and redness there. Did he put the cream on the inside?

I think, given the duration of the problem, and the intensity of his symptoms, he definitely needs to be reevaluated.

I suggest:
- inspect for signs of fungal or yeast infection.
- swab for STD if that is a possibility.
- give an oral antihistamine, which may need to be given in 2 times the usual dose. I usually recommend cetirizine (Zyrtec) as it is less sedating than Benadryl/diphenhydramine. Start with 1 (10 mg) tablet every 24 hours, and if that doesn't help adequately, increase to taking it twice a day.
- if after a few days of a double dose of antihistamine there is no improvement, reevaluate, as he may need an anti fungal, or if the intense itching persists, a short course of oral corticosteroid.

It's possible that this is an allergic reaction to whatever he had used 2 months ago, but I'd expect to see signs of allergic reaction, or for the symptoms to have subsided by now.

I definitely think you are right to pursue this, given the duration and intensity of itching. Good luck.