What causes itching sensation on the back, shoulders and vagina?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a live in caregiver for my mom who will be 101 soon.She has had itching for about a month and a half or more.On her bank shoulders vagina and stomach. They think it's a severe yeast infection but none of the lotions or medications are working. She was on a medication like Warfarin but we thought the itching and rash were caused by that med so we stopped it and has been taking Eloquis for about two weeks.At times the itching is very bad.Do you have any ideas?Thank you.
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Itching can be due to a lot of reason especially in elderly.

Does she have a rash. Can you upload a pic of the area?

Does she have jaundice ?

What medications have you used?

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 8 minutes later
Thank you so much.Just the medications I listed.She has a rash that is a dark red on her vagina.What is jaundice? We just started the Fluconazole two days ago and the Ketoconazole cream then also.It just doesn't seem to go away and it makes her miserable and unable to do her normal things.She hasn't been hungry the last three or four days, but did eat pretty well last night when I gave her , her favorite foods.Thanks again.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Yes it can be a severe fungal infection which is common in old age.

I will advise you to get a fungal culture of the area as different fungi have different treatment.

Not all get cured by Fluconazole and Ketoconazole.

Once we know which fungi it is we can start an appropriate treatment.

Jaundice means yellowing of eyes and skin due to liver problems . It also itches.
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 6 minutes later
Thank you so much.I will ask our Doctor if he will do that.Thanks again.No she doesn't have jaundice.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX