What causes itching sensation in hair?
Please answer and post the photos of affected area
Welcome to HCM,
You said you have itching on scalp and that is spreading to other parts of body. I can understand your concern for severe itching. I would like to ask few questions, please answer...
- duration of disease?
- describe the lesions..papular,vesicular,oozing,crusted..etc
- have you seen dog mite on your dog's fur?
- do you have burning or pain besides itching?
- any other skin disease or systemic disease?
- history of medicine at present or in past?
- family history of disease?
Please answer above queries and upload the photos affected areas...
Wishing you healthy life..
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
At first, the rash was on my hands . . red, slightly raised small bumps. That subsided and turned into itching, squiggling, biting and pain on my scalp and body.
One dermatologist said it was tree bugs, I have no idea what kind. He prescribed dandriff shampoo and Sulfur ointment for the skin. It didn't work for either.
Another dermatologist said it was Foliculitis. She prescribed Clindamycin 1% gel for the bumps on my scalp and skin. It doesn't work either.
I didn't see any mites on my dog, but she passed away a few months after I started my symptoms. I hope she didn't have it. It's awful.
I have covered furniture, washed everything in bleach and vinegar solution, avoid touching my hair as much as possible, etc. I am now washing with Tea Tree oil and soap, created a strong solution with my shampoo & Tea tree oil that I leave in my hair for hours before washing it. It has dried my scalp and minimized the itching. I hope it will continue to improve.
No family member has skin issues. I live alone so no one in the household has contact with me or it.
Prurigo most probably...
After reading history you provided,I feel that most probably you may be having prurigo. Itchy papular eruptions occur any where on the body. Severe pruritus might occur,you might feel discomfort. It might occur due to many factors..irritants and allergens. Psychlogical upsets can also exacerbate the disease.
The acute form of prurigo can be caused by insect stings and most of the subacute and chronic forms appear to be idiopathic. Toxic agents deposited in the skin by exogenous factors such as parasites, bacteria, or topically or orally administered drugs can induce itch. In susceptible individuals, physical mechanisms such as UV light can induce prurigo lesions. Prurigo is sometimes associated with atopy, pregnancy, internal diseases, malabsorption, or malignancy. Some forms of prurigo may be secondary to scratching. Emotional factors can also influence the perception of itch and induce prurigo by provoking scratching. These are the various specialized forms of prurigo.
For improving the disease,I would suggest as as follow....
-Topical treatments by corticosteroids, tacrolimus,coal tar..etc may be considered.
- And systemic regimens involving use of antihistaminics,steroids in tappering doses,psoralen + UVA (PUVA), erythromycin, cyclosporine, chloroquine, dapsone, minocycline, naltrexone, azathioprine..etc are used for the treatment of this condition.
-Psychotherapeutic agents to treat problems of mood that deteriorate prurigo are also prescribed.
-Combined treatments for generalized and therapy-resistant cases should be undertaken.
- The maintenance treatment in order to enable the patient to withstand the intolerable itch may be needed.
You consult an expert dermatologist,have firm diagnosis and perfect treatment.
I hope this would help you in managing your problem.
Wishing you early recovery...
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itching sensation and swelling in in my foot
- What caused itching and burning sensation in eyes
- What can cause itching sensation in stomach
- What causes for loss of sensation
- What causes itching sensation after taking singulair
- What could be the cause for itching sensation in legs
- What causes itching sensation in body
- What causes itching sensation on foreskin
- What causes blood in stool and itching sensation
- What causes itching sensation around anus