• question-icon

What causes itching sensation at the back of scalp?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had an itching at the back of my scalp for a while. I have tried medicated shampoos T-Gel and others and also cortisone cream but it won't go away. It almost feels like I am allergic to my own sweat. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concerns. I would be glad to help you out with your rash but would need further details. I would insist you to mention how long it has been present, whether it is associated with flaking of dead skin (dandruff) and any other associated symptoms, if any. Going by the mentioned details it seems to be a fungal infection. You may try applying candid lotion (clotrimazole) topically over the affected area over a week and see if it helps. Do not use cortisone as it makes it return faster. In fact that is likely to be the cause of the flare ups. I do not think that it indicates allergy to your own sweat. However, you can take cetirizine once daily for next few days and it should help with the itchiness as well.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha