What causes itching sensation around the anal area?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: it itches none stop an l have knots that form ..sometimes l will get puss out of them.. the are sore an l need them to stop
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry you are having a lot of itching. To be able to help, I will need more information.

Also, please upload some good quality digital photos to this site (see the button that says "upload reports") so that I can see what the lesions look like.

Things I need to know:
1. When did this problem start?
2. What is the location for the itching?
3. Were you exposed to anything new? (plants, foods, etc)
4. Have you been ill otherwise prior to the onset of the itching?
5. Is there a generalized rash?
6. Do you have any allergies?
7. Do the knots form after the area has been scratched?
8. What ongoing health problems do you have and medications do you take for these?
9. Where do you live? Not your exact address, but state/country. (This is important to help me know what type of insects are around, etc).

Thanks - I'll try to help after I get information from you.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 hours later
started after my hubby pasted away .they itch around my anus an inside my legs . l moved to new york in the past months l am disable an sit alot there is no rash as l can tell .. alergies none that l know of . yes they strat soon after . just a cream . corning new york no insects ... could this be from nervous l just need help
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing with more information.

It's hard to know for sure without seeing a good photo, but I'll give you a list of most common possibilities based on the information you provided. It would be best if you went in to a doctor in person to be seen, but if you want information on possibilities, here is my list:

- Fungal infection: Since it is around the anus and inside of legs, and you sit a lot that it is a fungal infection. Fungi can grow where conditions are moist, dark and warm. Treatment is an anti fungal/anticandidal cream such as clotrimazole. Brand name for this is Lotrimin AF. You can buy it without prescription at a drug store. Apply twice a day for 2 weeks. Keep the area as dry as possible. After a bath, XXXXXXX dry with a towel as usual, and then if you can, dry further with a hand held hair dryer on low setting.

- Bacterial infection: This would need to be treated with an antibiotic after seeing a physician in person. Soaking in warm-hot baths can help speed resolution of bacterial skin infections.

- Pin worms: This is less likely. It happens more in people who are around children in day care or institutional settings. I am suggesting it only because it can cause intense itching around the anus. But it usually doesn't cause itching in the inside of legs. Treatment is an anti parasitic oral medicine. There isn't any home treatment for this - it would require seeing a doctor.

About the bumps that produce pus after scratching: These may be a secondary bacterial infection from contamination from scratching. Treatment for these would be treating the underlying cause of the itching, such as if it is a fungal overgrowth, use the anti fungal cream, and wash well in hot bath.

I doubt that what you described is from being nervous, although feeling nervous can make itching overall worse.

Consider also taking an oral antihistamine such as cetirizine (sold without prescription) to help with the itching. This will not help the underlying problem but will help you with itching. It can be used twice a day for skin itching.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.