What causes itching over the vulva?

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am 82 and have itching in the vulva area.. I am using Vaseline as a lubricant.. I s there a problem with that?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely vulval candidiasis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The presence of itching over vulva can be due to vulval candidiasis . Vaseline application can only give you momentary relief as it acts as a protective coating over the lesions and avoid air contact which initiates itching. Best would be to get a vulval swab culture done and confirm the diagnosis first. it can be fungal and if fungal , shall need anti fungal ointment application for treatment of the same.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist