question-icon

What causes itching on the penis after unprotected intercourse?

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016
Question: Hi I have been having physical relationship with a girl for last 5 months using condom but last week I had without protection for 1 min and we both took a hiv1 & elisa test and the results was non reactive for both of us, however I have little itching sensation in my penis but I don't have any rashes or discharge in my penis, can u tell me if I need to get any other test and what's the diff between rapid test and hiv1 test
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (56 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can go for repeat testing after one month.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concern you are worried about.

You had unprotected sex with the girl of unknown status for just one minute than the risk of getting HIV is very unlikely with such short exposure.

Second, both of you had tested negative with HIV1 and ELISA which is also in your favour so don't get worried. The rapid test itself detects antibody for HIV1 in blood sample and both tests are similar.

As your friend I will also suggest for monogamous relationship and avoid such high risk activities to prevent future risk of HIV and other STDs.

As such the risk in your case is very unlikely but for your mental satisfaction get tested again after one month with 4th generation Duos or RNA PCR test to confirm your status. For any further query you can get back to me. Stay happy and healthy.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid (1 hour later)
Hi thanks for the response, however I have few more clarification will hiv1 & elisa test????? Does these test show up any symptoms of Chlamydia, Hepatitis B, Herpes , Gonorrhea, Hepatitis C or do I need to have separate test for all this, why do I have itching sensation in my penis and I also forgot to tell u that I am married, I am really worried about having sex with my wife and how long do I need to avoid having any physical relationship with my wife, really appreciate if u can give me a detial information on it
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is better to avoid sex with your wife till the result of test comes out.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Chlamydia, Hepatitis B & C, Gonorrhea and Herpes all are STDs other than HIV so you need to go for separate test for all these infections.

Itching sensation in penis may be due to some other infection or bad hygiene. Take tab avil and consult dermatologist for further management. Maintain the hygiene of your private area. Take healthy and nutritious food.

It is better to avoid sex or any physical relationship with your wife till the result comes to prevent the spread of infection. If you find it difficult then use condom.

Don't worry too much and get tested after one month. It will clear all your doubts and remove the fear or anxiety related to HIV.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid (17 hours later)
Thanks for making me feel better, however I have one last question, as mentioned for both of us the test result was non reactive, which means to say we don't have hiv in the past because of physical relationship, however what are the chances of getting hiv for doing it once for less than a min by mistake, as both of us don't have any symptoms, please let me know, is it necessary that every person who does it with 2 people will get hiv or std disease, please explain on this
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The chances of getting HIV from single short exposure are very less.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Welcome back once again and I am very happy to hear that you are feeling better.

As I had said the risk of getting the infection from single exposure of less than one minute is very unlikely and the test result for both of you was non-reactive which indicates that you are free from past exposures also so don't worry much.

It is not necessary that every person who has multiple partners will get HIV but still it is very high risk activity and the chances of getting the infection in future will increase so better to avoid it for the benefit of both you and your partner.

Hope this info will help you. If still any query left you can ask me any time and I will be happy to answer you. Wishing you happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist