• question-icon

What causes itching on the lower leg?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have extreme nightly itching of the lower leg & foot. Sometimes the itching is in the palm of my hand. I also am having significant hair loss. Don't know if these symptoms are related.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Itching and hair loss doesn't seem to be related

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and itching can be due to dryness or eczema or any systemic problem.
Itching doesn't seem to be related to hair loss.
Hair loss could be due to age related hormonal changes or due to the medicines you are taking.
For itching I would recommend you to apply moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin 2-3 times in a day and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist